Baked Lamb Chops with Ham, Sausage, and Tomatoes (Chuletas de Cordero a la Navarra)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Lamb or Mutton
- 2 to 3 rib lamb chops per person (depending on size of chops)
- 1/4 pound cured ham; cubed
- 12 slices Chorizo (or pepperoni) sausage; very thin slices
- 1 large onion; chopped fine
- 4 large tomatoes, very ripe; peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lard
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt; very small pinch
- a little ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fry chops in combined lard and olive oil. As chops are browned, put them in a large, ovenproof casserole.
- In the same lard and olive oil, fry cubed ham with chopped onion. When onion is soft and golden, add peeled, chopped tomatoes. Let mixture boil 1 minute, mix in a very small pinch of salt and a little ground black pepper, and spread mixture over chops. Place chops in oven and bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
- This much can be done hours in advance if you prefer.
- Ten to 15 minutes before serving, place thin slices of sausage over meat and bake in top part of hot oven until sausage begins to melt. Serve in the casserole in which it baked.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman