Baked Creamed Cauliflower is a wonderful, easy way to serve a tasty but understated vegetable as a side dish. Simply a superb treat even the children at your table will enjoy.
- 1 head cauliflower
- salt; as needed
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 1 1/2 Cups nonfat milk
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 Cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon minced dill
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 Cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Remove leaves from cauliflower; break into large florets. Cook in boiling salted water until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain in colander, reserving 1/2 cup liquid from cooking cauliflower.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in small saucepan. Add garlic and saute over medium-low heat, stirring, about 1 minute. Stir in milk and reserved liquid from cooking cauliflower; heat to simmering. Blend together flour and sour cream until smooth. Stir into milk mixture. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with whisk. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt and white pepper.
- Pour half of sauce into 10- by 1 1/2-inch round baking dish. Arrange cooked cauliflower in single layer evenly on top. Pour remaining sauce over cauliflower to cover evenly.
- Melt remaining butter in small skillet over low heat. Add bread crumbs and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir to coat crumbs evenly with butter. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes to lightly toast crumbs. Spoon crumbs evenly over top of cauliflower in dish. Bake at 375 degrees until casserole is bubbly and crumbs browned, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Each serving: 110 calories; 271 mg sodium; 7 mg cholesterol; 3 grams fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams protein; 0.75 gram fiber.
Warm Pear Charlotte is a simply stunning dessert suitable for any occasion and perfect for entertain...
Escargot à la Bourguignonne are one of the classic dishes of French cuisine. The large snails of Bur...
This truly simple recipe produces outstanding results every time, with perfect rice to accompany all...
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is an old classic, but is still a fresh and fruity dessert worth a try. P...