Baked Clams with Tasso Gratinee with Saffron Sabayon
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 8 ounces tasso, finely diced
- 1 Cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon essence
- 1/2 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese grated
- 12 medium clams, on the half shell
- Saffron Sabayon:
- 4 egg yolks
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 pinch saffron
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chives; chopped
- 2 Tablespoons brunoise cut red peppers
- 2 Tablespoons brunoise cut yellow peppers
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a hot saute pan, render the tasso for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the bread crumbs, Essence and cheese to the rendered tasso, mix thoroughly.
- Season the clams with salt and pepper. Top each clam with 1 tablespoon tasso crust.
- Place the clams on a baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- For the Sabayon: In a mixing owl, whisk eggs, lemon juice and saffron together. Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water and whisk until pale in colour and thick.
- The sauce will leave a ribbon like trace, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove clams from oven.
- Place the clams on a platter and drizzle with sabayon.
- Garnish with chives and peppers.