The Baked Christmas Pudding’s dark glossy dome is flamed with Brandy Sauce and carried to the table before the shimmering blue aura dies away. The sugar cubes will keep the flame alive a good while. This ancient British traditional dish is a great treat at Christmastide. Many American families of English origin still celebrate the holiday with one of these classic puddings. Simply wonderful and totally enjoyable by young and old.
- 1/4 Cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 3/4 Cup molasses
- 1 1/2 Cups finely chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped yellow candied pineapple
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 Cup milk
- Brandy Sauce (see Recipe)
- 10 to 12 sugar cubes
- lemon extract (optional)
- Combine butter and 1/4 Cups sugar in a large mixing bowl; beat with a wooden spoon until well blended. Add eggs and molasses, mixing well.
- Dredge candied fruits and pecans in 2 Tablespoons flour; set aside.
- Combine remaining flour and next 5 ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir fruit mixture into batter.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured 2 quart ring mold. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 1/2 hours.
- Unmold onto serving platter.
- Spoon Brandy Sauce over pudding. If desired, soak sugar cubes in lemon extract.
- Arrange soaked sugar cubes evenly around heat-proof serving platter, and ignite just before serving.
Once again, Italian cookery has shown its universal appeal in this historic Jewish dish created by I...
Steak Soup Gratinée is based on a basic French recipe for Onion Soup, modified to American tastes. ...
Strawberry Pie is a perennial favorite throughout the United States. With strawberries always availa...
Rich bacon and tasty Cheddar flavors come through with every delicious spoonful of Bacon-Topped Chee...