Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
- Almond Red Sauce; see Recipe
- Jalapeno Cream Sauce; see Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 Cup onion; finely chopped, 1 small
- 1 clove garlic; finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup almonds; slivered
- 1/4 Cup raisins
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red chiles; ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves; ground
- 4 ounces green chiles; chopped, 1 can
- 1 Cup tomato; chopped, 1 medium
- 8 flour tortillas; 10-inch diameter, warmed
- 1 egg; large, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter; softened
- Prepare Almond Red Sauce and Jalepeno Cream Sauce; reserve.
- Cook and stir ground beef, onion and garlic in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until beef is brown; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except tortillas, egg and butter. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees F. Spoon about 1/2 cup of beef mixture onto the center of each tortilla.
- Fold one end of the tortilla up about 1 inch over the beef mixture; fold right and lift sides over folded end, overlapping.
- Fold remaining end down; brush edges with egg to seal brush each chimichanga with butter. Place seam sides down in a greased jelly roll pan, 15 1/2 X 10 1/2 X 1-inch.
- Bake until tortillas begin to brown and filling is hot, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with Almond Red Sauce and Jalepeno Cream Sauce.
- Omit 2 Tablespoons butter. Heat vegetable oil (about 1 inch) to 365 degrees F. Fry chimichangas 2 to 3 at a time in hot oil, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Keep warm in 300 degree F Oven.