Delectable cheese sauce tops tender sprouts in Baked Brussel Sprouts au Gratin, a wonderful side dish, perfect for entertaining. The topping is lovely.
Baked Brussel Sprouts au Gratin
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 Quart brussels sprouts
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 Cup green onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 slice bacon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 1 Cup water, reserved from cooking
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons bread crumbs
- Preheat oven 325 F.
- Wash and "x" bottom of brussel sprouts. Place in boiling water, enough to cover.
- Boil and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and reserve 1 Cup hot liquid.
- Melt butter in small skillet. Add green onions and saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook until flour is dissolved, 3 minutes. Add bacon, garlic and parsley. Cook 3 minutes more. Pour in reserved water. Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened to consistency of heavy cream
- Remove bacon from sauce. Place sprouts base down in a buttered casserole. Pour sauce over. Top with grated cheese then breadcrumbs.
- Bake 30 minutes or until top is browned.