Similar in nature to a scone, this recipe is served best with butter.
Baked Barley Bannocks
Author: Judy Paterson
Recipe type: Breads and Rolls
Serves: 1 batch
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 8 ounces barley flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar; (rounded)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- milk; as required
- Mix all the dry ingrdients and add enough milk to make a fairly soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly forming a round bannock about 2 inches deep.
- Prick the top with a fork and bake in a moderate oven, in a tin, for about an hour.
From: "Scottish Home Baking" by Judy Paterson