Baked Apples with Fruit and Nuts is a superb dessert to end a wonderful meal. The combination of apples, raisins and nuts is heaven sent.
Baked Apples with Fruit and Nuts
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 large Bramley cooking apples
- 4 ounces soft dark brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons sweet mincemeat
- 2 ounces flaked almonds or chopped pecan nuts
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons raisins
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the center core of the apples, leaving 1/4 inch uncut at the bottom. Run the tip of a sharp knife round the circumference of the apple, just to pierce the skin. This stops the apples bursting in the oven.
- Combine all the ingredients except for the butter and juice, and spoon it into the cavities of the apples; place the excess in the bottom of the buttered baking dish.
- Place the apples on the fruit in the dish, dot the top with butter and pop in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes. Every 10 minutes, add 2 Tablespoons of apple juice to the bottom of the dish, and spoon the juices over the apples.
Per serving: 58 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (75% calories from fat); trace Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 14mg Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
Serve piping hot with double or clotted cream.[br][br]Cooks tip: If you’re making these for adults add a splash of dark rum, whiskey or brandy over the fruit in each apple before baking.