Baked Apple Dumplings with Cranberry Filling is one of the best desserts we ever made for the winter holidays. Perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s dinner with its delectable crust and rich flavors.
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar; packed
- 1/3 Cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 6 medium Golden Delicious apples
- 1 double crust pie pastry
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 6 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine sour cream, sugar, cranberries and orange peel.
- Core apples, making a hole with 1 1/4-inch diameter. Do not cut through bottom; do not peel.
- Divide pastry into 6 equal pieces. On a well-floured board, roll out one piece into 9-inch square. Lightly brush dough with water. Set apple in center of dough. Fill with sour cream mixture.
- Gather up corners of pastry and bring together at top, forming a decorative twist; cut off excess pastry and reserve. Press pastry to smoothly encase apple.
- Pinch each of the 4 flaps of excess dough to seal. Trim to 1/2-inch width, following curve of apple; reserve excess pastry. Press seams against apple.
- Refrigerate while wrapping remaining apples.
- Brush a dumpling with milk. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar. Set on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dumplings. Place 2 inches apart on sheet.
- Prick dough in several places with fork, not piercing apple skin.
- If desired, roll out excess dough. Cut out decorative leaves. Attach to dumpling with water.
- Bake in 425 oven for 30 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. Serve warm.
Poached Apples in Wine is an historic preparation dating back to the Middle Ages. Since those simple...
Croquembouche is an impressive tower of small cream puffs and caramelized sugar that's well worth th...
Delicious Brownies live up to the standard their name implies. Every bite a chocolaty taste sensatio...
Roast Beef Tea Sandwiches is a very quick to prepare recipe that will be very popular. Serve with te...