Bonny Baker’s recipe for Sorrel Soup integrates incredible flavor, history, and healthy eating in one glorious compilation. Make and enjoy it today!
Badgirl Press Sorrel Soup
Author: Bonny Baker
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 onions; roughly diced
- 5 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 pound sorrel leaves; stems removed
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 3/4 Cup chopped Italian parsley
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Cayenne pepper
- Creme Fraiche; for garnish
- chopped chives; for garnish
- Heat oil in stockpot or medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add butter. When butter has melted, add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in sorrel and cook until wilted, 25 minutes. Add broth, parsley, salt and pepper to taste, dash nutmeg and 2 dashes cayenne pepper or to taste. Simmer over low heat, covered, until sorrel is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Puree in batches in blender. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with dollops of creme fraiche and sprinkling of chopped chives.
Shortly after taking her gardening plot in November 1997, Bonny Baker got sick of "that Christmas gift thing." Inspired by what she grew, she wrote a cookbook, which she produced under her own imprint, Badgirl Press, and gave it to her friends.
Serving size: each of 4 Calories: 205 Fat: 14 g Carbohydrates: 12 g Sodium: 1,005 mg Fiber: 1.56 g Protein: 9 g Cholesterol: 16 mg