Bacon-Topped Cheese Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 9 Cups
- 6 slices bacon; chopped
- 1/2 Cup celery; finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup carrot; finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup onion; finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup green pepper; finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Cups half-and-half
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 can clear chicken broth; 14 ounces
- 2 Cups Cheddar cheese; shredded
- black pepper, freshly grated
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place bacon in a 3 Quart casserole; cover and microwave at HIGH 6 to 9 minutes or until done. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in casserole; set bacon aside.
- Add vegetables to drippings; microwave at HIGH 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Blend in four, salt, and pepper; stir well. Gradually stir in half-and-half, milk, and chicken broth.
- Cover and microwave at HIGH 7 to 11 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring at 2 minute intervals. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Cover and microwave at MEDIUM 2 minutes.
- Top each serving with shredded Cheddar, bacon and a generous grinding of black pepper. Serve immediately.