Richly flavored, these delicious croutons are wonderful on salads, but equally at home on soups. A treat.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Accompaniments
- 5 slices firm white bread or 6 slices French bread
- 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Cut crusts from 5 slices firm white bread or 6 slices French bread. Dice bread into 1/2-inch cubes. In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings with onion powder and poppy seeds. Add bread cubes, stirring well until coated with mixture. Transfer bread cubes to a rimmed baking sheet and spread in a single layer. Bake in a 300 degree F oven until lightly browned and crisp (25 to 30 minutes). Cool.
- Makes about two cups.
Making your own salad croutons is simple -- all it takes are a few slices of day-old (or older) bread. They can accent many types of salads and homemade croutons are much fresher and more flavorful than the packaged kind. Once you have tasted the following, you will never again spend money on store-bought croutons. Any croutons that aren't used within a day or two should be stored in a cool place in an opaque, airtight container. They can also be frozen.