Bacon Dumpling Soup offers tasty dumplings that add considerable flavor to a simple stock.
Bacon Dumpling Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 servings
- 12 ounces (350 g) stale white bread
- 1 1/4 Cups whole milk
- 2 ounces (50 g) lean bacon strips
- 1 ounce (25 g) unsalted butter
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 4 ounces (125 g) self-rising flour
- 2 pints (1.1 litres) beef stock
- Remove crusts from bread, then soak in milk for 2 hours. Derind and chop bacon. Fry in butter till crisp. Drain and chop.
- Peel and finely chop onion. Peel and crush garlic. Put both into bowl with bread, bacon, parsley and marjoram. Season and add eggs. Mix together well. Sift in flour and stir until absorbed.
- Heat the stock in a large saucepan. Make the bacon mixture into 1 inch (2.5 cm) balls and roll them in a little flour so they don't fall apart when cooking. Add the dumplings to the stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot.