Inherited from Spain, this codfish dish is a favorite of the Mexicans, particularly on Christmas Eve.
Bacalao Espanol (Spanish Cod)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Seafood
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 pound salted codfish
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons parsley,
- 1 large onion, minced well chopped
- 8 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 teaspoons green olives, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small (4-ounce) can pimientos, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Soak codfish for 8 hours in enough cold water to cover it.
- Drain and shred the fish.
- Saute the onion in the oil until it is softened. Add codfish and saute a few more minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer slowly until codfish is tender, about 1/2 hour or more.
- Makes 4 servings.
Salted cod should always be soaked and the water changed periodically as it is well known to have a strong odor if not prepare correctly.