There’s something extraordinary about Azafran Soup with Spinach Greens and Yellow Cornmeal Dumplings. Its flavor tantalizes and satisfies the palate with every spoonful.
- 1 Cup ground yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Cups chicken stock
- 6 Cups water
- 2 Tablespoons azafran (see note)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 Cups chicken stock
- 2 yellow summer squash, diced (zucchini)
- 3 Cups corn kernels
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and stemmed
- To make the dumplings, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and sugar together in a bowl. Add the butter and milk and mix well to make a batter that is moist but not sticky. If the dough is too moist, knead in a little more flour.
- Divide the dough into 1-inch balls, or flatten and shape into small triangles.
- Pour the chicken stock into a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and drop in the dumplings. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, until tender and cooked all the way through. Remove the dumplings from the stock and set aside.
- For the soup, heat 2 cups of the water and the azafran in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the liquid has reduced by half, about 7 minutes.
- Pour through a fine sieve, discard the azafran, and return the liquid to the saucepan. Add salt, pepper, stock, and the remaining 4 cups of the water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add squash, reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add cork kernels and simmer another 5 minutes. Add dumplings and spinach, cook 2 minutes, and serve immediately.
Azafran is commonly sold in Latin American markets and specialty herb stores. It can also be ordered by mail. It is best stored in a cool dark place and will last several months in a sealed plastic or glass container.
From "Native American Cooking," by Lois Ellen
Chocolate Granita is tasty, creamy and refreshing to the palate. Simple preparation makes it a wonde...
Carrot and Ginger Soup with Roasted Cauliflower offers an incredible triad of flavors that entice th...
The warm sunny Mediterranean is perfect for growing oranges, olives and onions, which are the princi...
Watermelon, Marinated Feta and Sunflower Shoot Salad with a Clear Tomato Jelly delivers an incredibl...