Avgolemono Soup is a rich pairing of lemon, egg and rice that’s delicious and filling. It brings a taste of summer any time of year.
Avgolemono Soup (Chicken-Lemon Soup)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 to 6
- 6 Cups chicken stock
- 1/3 Cup rice, white
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- chives, finely chopped or snipped
- lemon, thinly sliced
- Bring the stock to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add the rice, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs vigorously.
- Whip the lemon juice into the eggs, adding it slowly.
- Constantly whip the lemon-egg mixture while you add 2 cups of the hot stock, without rice.
- Just before serving, and the egg, lemon and stock mixture to the rest of the rice and chicken stock, whisking constantly while heating the soup over a medium-low burner. Do not boil the soup or the eggs will coagulate.
- Add the salt.
- Let the soup stand, covered, off the burner for 5 minutes.
- Portion the soup into bowls.
- Optionally garnish with a lemon slice and some chopped chives.
Serve with a crusty bread or toasted pita for a wonderful meal.