Take your BBQ beyond the burger or ribs with this brilliant authentic Texas brisket recipe. Slow cooked but long on flavor, it becomes an enjoyable memory. Serve with rice and beans, corn bread and salad.
- 11 pound piece of beef brisket
- 18 fluid ounces beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 18 fluid ounces ketchup
- 3 1/2 fluid ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 fluid ounces lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon malt vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons each chili powder and mustard powder
- 1 Tablespoon each paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, ground black pepper, granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- To make the barbecue sauce, heat the oil in a frying pan, then cook onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the pan with a good pinch of salt and simmer for 20 minutes. Use a hand blender or food processor to whizz to a smooth purée.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F/150 degrees Centigrade. Make the rub by mixing all the ingredients together with a pinch of salt. Rub the mix all over the beef and set aside.
- In a large roasting pan, mix the beef stock and 1/2 the barbecue sauce. Add the brisket to the pan, cover tightly with foil, then cook for 4 to 5 hours until the meat is really tender when you push a fork into it. The beef can be prepared the night before - just leave it to cool in the pan covered with foil, but don't refrigerate.
- To finish the beef, get a barbecue fired up and wait until the coals are completely ashen - you want a low, not fierce, heat. Lift the beef out of the roasting tin and place on the barbecue to char. If your barbecue has a lid, close it now. Cook for about 20 minutes, turning it carefully with tongs, until lightly charred all over and heated through. Lift onto a board and serve sliced with the remaining barbecue sauce on the side.
Warm Pear Charlotte is a simply stunning dessert suitable for any occasion and perfect for entertain...
This Chinese version of Marrons Glacé is exceptional, delicious and incredibly useful as a component...
The depth of flavor good Bourbon affords to pork is astounding. Marinated in it, glazed in it, this ...
The Poppy Fields of Flanders honor those who served in war. Perfect for Veteran's Day or Remembrance...