There’s an incredible richness in every spoonful of Augusta’s Chilled Tomato Soup with Basil Cream. Perfect with sandwiches of any kind.
Augusta's Chilled Tomato Soup with Basil Cream
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 6 servings
- 1/2 Cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves; coarsely chopped
- 3/4 Cup heavy cream
- 2 Cups ripe tomatoes; seeded, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 2 Cups chicken stock
- 2 Cups milk (whole or 2 percent)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt; to taste
- ground black pepper; to taste
- whole basil leaves
- Early in the day, put the chopped basil leaves in a small bowl.
- Scald the cream in a small saucepan and pour it over the basil.
- Let steep 1 hour, then strain the cream and chill deeply.
- In a food processor, puree the chopped tomato, stock, milk and honey until very smooth.
- Transfer the puree to a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Chill deeply.
- When ready to serve, whip the basil cream.
- Ladle the chilled soup into chilled glass cups or stemmed glasses.
- Dollop each serving with the whipped cream and top with a fresh basil leaf.