Au Gratin Potatoes
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 Quarts whipping cream
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 shallots, peeled, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 7 Russet potatoes, peeled, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine cream, garlic, shallots, bay and thyme in large saucepan. Heat to gentle boil over medium heat, watching closely as it tends to boil over. Cook until reduced by half.
- Place potatoes (do not rinse or immerse in water) in large bowl. When cream is reduced, pour through strainer over potatoes. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste; toss gently.
- Transfer potatoes to greased 13-in. by 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle cheese over.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes; cover with aluminum foil and bake an additional 45 minutes.