The sweet richness of orange enhances this simple Hollandaise and the aromatic flavor of fresh asparagus to create the ultimate side dish. Simply extraordinary.
Asparagus with Orange Hollandaise
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dishes
- 1 pound (450 g) fresh asparagus
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 ounces (125 g) unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- grated rind 1 orange
- 3 egg yolks
- Cut 1 inch (2.5 cm) off the bottom of the asparagus and pare the first 2 inches (5 cm) with a sharp knife.
- Place the asparagus, tips uppermost, in a steamer over boiling water. Cover and steam for 12 or 15 minutes until the tips are just tender.
- Boil the vinegar to reduce by half. Melt the butter. Blend the orange juice, rind, egg yolks and boiling vinegar in a blender.
- With blender running, add the butter in a thin stream. Blend until thick.
- Serve the sauce warm with the asparagus.