Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Brunch
- 2 large onions; finely chopped
- 1/4 pound butter or vegan butter plus:
- 2 Tablespoons butter or vegan butter
- 1 1/3 Cups fine fresh breadcrumbs
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 1/2 pounds trimmed asparagus; washed, chopped and cooked
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped parsley
- To Garnish:
- parsley sprigs
- lemon slices
- asparagus tips
- Vegan Yogurt and Herb Dressing:
- 1/2 Cup vegan yogurt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped mint
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Saute the onions in 2 tablespoons of the butter or vegan butter for 10 minutes, until soft but not browned.
- In another pan, heat 4 tablespoons of the butter or vegan butter and saute the crumbs until crisp.
- Melt the remaining butter or vegan butter in a small saucepan.
- Spread one phyllo pastry sheet out on a large board and brush with butter.
- Put another pastry sheet on top and brush with more butter. Repeat until all sheets have been used.
- Spread the onions evenly on top of the pastry, keeping the edges clear. Put the asparagus over the top of the onions and sprinkle with three-quarters of the crumbs and the parsley.
- Fold over 2 inches all around the pastry, then fold the long edges over to make a roll.
- Place the roll, seam side down, on a baking sheet and bend it around into a horseshoe shape.
- Brush with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining crumbs.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs, lemon slices and asparagus tips.
- Combine Yogurt and Herb Dressing ingredients, and serve with Strudel.
Great brunch dish!