Asparagus, Leek, and Potato Soup du Jour is an outstanding combination of flavors that collectively create a delectable soup.
Asparagus, Leek, and Potato Soup du Jour
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks; trimmed, sliced and well rinsed
- 2 medium all-purpose potatoes; peeled and diced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus; trimmed
- 6 Cups chicken stock
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, optional; for enrichment
- 4 Tablespoons finely minced fresh chives; for garnish
- Trim the leeks of all but 2-inches of greens, rinse well, and thinly slice.
- Peel and dice the asparagus stalks, reserve the tips.
- In a large, heavy casserole, melt the butter over low heat. Add the leeks, potatoes, and asparagus stalks and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes, covered, or until the vegetables are tender. Cool the soup slightly.
- With a slotted spoon, remove 1 cup of the vegetables and reserve. Transfer the remaining soup to the workbowl of a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Return the pureed soup to the casserole and place over medium heat. Add the asparagus tips and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until just tender. Add the reserved cooked vegetables and cream and simmer 5 minutes longer. Taste and correct the seasoning, adding the optional butter and the chives.
- Serve the soup hot or lightly chilled.
Source: PERLA MEYERS' ART OF SEASONAL COOKING by Perla Meyers