Asparagus Cashew Stir-Fry
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 4 Cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 teaspoon (pref toasted) sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 dash white pepper
- Next Step:
- 2 Tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus *
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Cup cashews **
- * woody parts of stems removed, tender part cut into 3" lengths (3 cups) ** dry-roasted and unsalted, or raw slivered almonds GARNISH: mandarin orange sections and toasted sesame seeds, optional Cook or reheat brown rice. In small bowl, combine soy sauce and cornstarch. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients; set aside. In a wok or large skillet, heat oil. Stir-fry asparagus, scallions, pepper, and garlic until vegetables are crisp/tender. Stir sauce mixture; pour it over the vegetables and stir until it is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; fold in cashews. Cover and cook 1 minute, until cashews are heated through.
- Serves 4-6.
- VARIATIONS: 3-4 cups broccoli florets may be substituted for asparagus; or; add other veggies such as sliced mushrooms or thinly sliced carrots; with the cashews, gently stir in 1 lb firm tofu cut into 1/2" cubes; serve over pasta rather than rice; buckwheat noodles are good.