Asian Salmon Burgers
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Saltwater Fish
- 1 large cucumber (about 1 pound)
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg white
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger root - grated and peeled
- 3/4 pound salmon fillet, skin discarded - cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 Cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- 2 scallions, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 small green-leaf lettuce leaves
- 8 slices firm pumpernickel (about 10 ounces)
- With a Japanese rotary slicer, cut cucumber into 1 long spiral. (Alternatively, with a sharp knife cut cucumber into very thin slices.) In a bowl toss cucumber with vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste.
- In another bowl whisk together egg white, soy sauce and gingerroot until combined well and stir in salmon, bread crumbs, scallions, mustard seeds, and salt to taste. In a food processor puree 1/3 cup salmon mixture and return to salmon mixture remaining in bowl. (Alternatively, chop 1/3 cup salmon mixture fine and mash to a paste with flat side of a knife.) Stir mixture to combine and form into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Drain cucumber well.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and cook patties until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Cook patties, covered, over moderate heat until just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Arrange lettuce leaves on 4 pumpernickel slices and top with salmon burgers, pickled cucumber, and remaining 4 pumpernickel slices.
- Yield: 4 sandwiches