Asian Barbecued Duck is a superb recipe with great flexibility. We use this to make exceptional duck sandwiches topped with Asian coleslaw.
Asian Barbecued Duck
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 2 ducks (5 pounds each)
- 6 ounces plum jam
- 1 Cup papaya juice
- 1/2 Cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup soy sauce
- 2 inches ginger
- 4 Tablespoons basil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- Prick the ducks all over with a fork. Place in a steamer with about 1" of water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cut the ducks into serving size pieces.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Puree.
- Place the duck pieces in a flat glass baking dish, Pour the marinade over.
- Let the duck pieces marinate for 1 hour, turning once during that time.
- Prepare the barbecue - it is NOT ready until ALL the coals have a THICK, even coating of gray ash.
- Place a drip pan in the center of the barbecue with the hot coals surrounding it.
- Place the duck pieces on the grid directly over the drip pan. Place the lid on the barbecue.
- Cook until the skin is brown and the duck is done to taste. Serve hot.