Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- One 2 1/4 ounces can sliced ripe olives, well drained
- 5 eggs, separated
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup nonfat milk
- 1 Cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a 2-quart pan over medium heat. Add flour and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually blend in the milk until smooth. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Add Swiss cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Blend in artichokes and olives. Remove from heat. with a wooden spoon, beat in egg yolks.
- Spray bottom and sides of a 1 1/2 to 2-quart souffle dish with cooking spray, then coat with Parmesan cheese. In a bowl, whip egg whites until moist, soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into cheese sauce. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees F. until souffle is puffy and golden brown and a long pick inserted in center (through a surface crack) comes out clean (30 to 35 minutes).