The Latin American classic is the ideal economical meal that puts a smile on the faces at your table. Arroz con Pollo is simply wonderful. Serve with an excellent Chilean or Spanish wine for a glorious meal.
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs and legs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 Cups water
- 1/2 Cup white wine
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon mixed vegetable seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 Cup celery
- 1/2 Cup almonds
- 3/4 Cup short grain brown rice
- 3/4 Cup wild rice
- 3/4 Cup Spanish green olives, drained, without pimiento, pitted
- 2 Cups peas
- Heat oil and brown chicken in it for 10 minutes. Add paprika, cilantro, onion and garlic. Saute until onion is clear.
- Stir in water, wine, tomatoes, bouillon cube, and seasonings; combine thoroughly. Stir in celery, almonds and rice. Cover and simmer 20 minutes; add peas and olives, and simmer another 10 to 20 minutes or until rice is ready.
Some might say "Arroz con Pollo is a Mexican dish". Others would argue that it's Puerto Rican or Cuban. Actually, it's Spanish, but it has developed a greater prominence throughout Latin America. No one nationality may claim it as their own.
One could say though, that Arroz con Pollo is one of the first truly international dishes since Columbus. No matter where you think it came from, it's always great eating. Enjoy.
Thai Grilled Shrimp Salad blends the sweetness of mango, the smoothness of avocado, the crunchiness ...
Waldorf Salad is perfect for luncheon, brunch or dinner. Healthy, fresh and fruity, it provides a f...
Sour Cream Pound Cake is a delicious, lemony cake with a wonderful scent and flavor. Topped with a l...
Spicy Moroccan Carrots is a wonderful side dish. In Morocco, it would be served along side a Tagine ...