Armenian Lavash is a glorious bread and cracker made with sesame seeds. Simple, crunchy and never filling, this is the perfect cracker to serve with Hummus, herbed cream cheese or rich creamy butter. Always a treat.
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/2 Cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups whole wheat flour
- toasted sesame seeds
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water in large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add salt.
- Combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours and add enough to yeast mixture to make stiff dough.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. Shape into ball.
- Place in greased bowl and turn to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and let rise again until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll each out on lightly floured surface to very thin circle about 9 inches in diameter.
- Place, one at a time, on baking sheet and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 400 degrees F 5 to 6 minutes, or until bread appears dry, lightly browned and blistered.
- Run palest side under hot broiler until lightly browned.
- Cool and store in dry place.
Enjoy with Olive Tapenade or Hummus bah Tahini for a great snack or start to a formal meal with friends or family.