Armenian Lavash is a glorious bread and cracker made with sesame seeds. Simple, crunchy and never filling, this is the perfect cracker to serve with Hummus, herbed cream cheese or rich creamy butter. Always a treat.
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/2 Cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups whole wheat flour
- toasted sesame seeds
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water in large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add salt.
- Combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours and add enough to yeast mixture to make stiff dough.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. Shape into ball.
- Place in greased bowl and turn to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and let rise again until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll each out on lightly floured surface to very thin circle about 9 inches in diameter.
- Place, one at a time, on baking sheet and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 400 degrees F 5 to 6 minutes, or until bread appears dry, lightly browned and blistered.
- Run palest side under hot broiler until lightly browned.
- Cool and store in dry place.
Enjoy with Olive Tapenade or Hummus bah Tahini for a great snack or start to a formal meal with friends or family.
Grilled Chicken Paillard with Baby Greens and Basil Oil is an incredibly healthful recipe ideal for ...
Our Double Bacon Double Cheese Burger mixes bacon with ground beef, and adds crispy bacon as well as...
Scallop Ceviche with Citrus Vinaigrette and Avocado packs volumes of powerful flavor into every bite...
Trenette is a simple pasta, usually flat but hollow tubes. Trennette with Smoked Chicken and Mozzare...