Served with a delicious rice pilaf and a sweet salad made with fresh herbs, this is an extraordinarily flavorful dish that is destined to become a family favorite. The rich taste of lamb comes alive once marinated as in this great recipe. Try these with pita bread (grilled or warmed) and a rich yogurt-based sauce for a true treat.
- 1 boned leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 onions; sliced
- 1 Cup red wine
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 1 Cup fresh oregano
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Have butcher bone leg of lamb and remove all visible outside fat.
- Cut into 2-inch cubes, removing all fat and gristle.
- Use only lean solid meat for kebabs. (Excess meat can be used for other dishes or to make lamb stock.)
- Place lamb meat and onions in large bowl. Add wine, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste; mix well and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Before grilling, soak wooden skewers 20 minutes in cold water to prevent burning, or use steel skewers.
- Remove meat from marinade and thread onto skewers.
- Grill over medium-high heat, turning frequently to cook evenly, about 15 minutes for medium-rare and 25 minutes for medium.
Each serving: 601 calories; 991 mg sodium; 121 mg cholesterol; 49 grams fat; 5 grams carbohydrates; 29 grams protein; 0.23 gram fiber.
Real men do eat quiche; especially these mini ones. Full of rich, delicious flavor and so easy to ma...
Schinkenfleckerln is an outstanding ham and noodle casserole, that's warming, soothing and incredibl...
Mary Ann Esposito's Split Pea Soup (Minestra di Piselli Spaccata) is warming, comforting and delicio...
Soupe au Pistou is a traditional French classic. Pistou is the Gallic version of Pesto and a rich in...