Served with a delicious rice pilaf and a sweet salad made with fresh herbs, this is an extraordinarily flavorful dish that is destined to become a family favorite. The rich taste of lamb comes alive once marinated as in this great recipe. Try these with pita bread (grilled or warmed) and a rich yogurt-based sauce for a true treat.
- 1 boned leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 onions; sliced
- 1 Cup red wine
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 1 Cup fresh oregano
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Have butcher bone leg of lamb and remove all visible outside fat.
- Cut into 2-inch cubes, removing all fat and gristle.
- Use only lean solid meat for kebabs. (Excess meat can be used for other dishes or to make lamb stock.)
- Place lamb meat and onions in large bowl. Add wine, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste; mix well and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Before grilling, soak wooden skewers 20 minutes in cold water to prevent burning, or use steel skewers.
- Remove meat from marinade and thread onto skewers.
- Grill over medium-high heat, turning frequently to cook evenly, about 15 minutes for medium-rare and 25 minutes for medium.
Each serving: 601 calories; 991 mg sodium; 121 mg cholesterol; 49 grams fat; 5 grams carbohydrates; 29 grams protein; 0.23 gram fiber.
Chicken Liver Pate is a glorious appetizer not often made in the United States, though incredibly po...
Richly flavored with buttery hazelnuts, Chocolate Hazelnut Toffee is a delicious confection; a sweet...
A simple, delicious side dish, Gingered Squash is tasty, with a delightful flavor that pairs well wi...
Duchesse potatoes may be served simply or in an elegant presentation. No matter how you prepare them...