Arcadian Shepherd's Pie
Try a side salad, a favored vegetable and sparkling water or wine to enhance the light topping.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Meat Pies
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or lamb
- 2 onions, minced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon tomato catsup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- beef stock
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 Cup cream
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 potatoes peeled, boiled mashed
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown beef and separately saute onions in butter until golden.
- Mix meat with onions, catsup, Worcestershire, salt and pepper.
- Add a little meat stock and cook, covered, over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks until light, whites until stiff. Beat yolks, cream, butter, and garlic powder into mashed potatoes.
- Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Put meat mixture into casserole and top with potatoes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake at 350 degrees F. until puffed and browned.
The combination of whipped egg whites with the potatoes makes absolutely light, delicate mashed potatoes fit for the most refined palate.