A simple bread, similar to a traditional Irish Soda Bread, Aran Spiosrai is delicious with sweet, creamy butter and thick fruit jam, accompanied by a cup of Irish Breakfast tea. Exceptional.
- 10 ounces flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice *
- 1/2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 4 ounces sugar, brown, light
- 2 ounces citron, candied; chopped
- 6 ounces raisins, plain, golden or mixed
- 4 ounces butter, unsalted
- 6 ounces golden syrup **
- 1 large egg; beaten
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- Sift the flour with the soda and baking powder, and the mixed spice and ginger: then add the brown sugar, chopped peel and raisins: mix.
- Make a well in the center. Melt the butter with the syrup over low heat, then pour into the well in the mixture. Add the beaten egg and milk and mix very well.
- Pour into a greased 2-pound loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 325F for 40 to 50 minutes, or until it tests done.
- This bread will keep moist for several days, and actually improves somewhat during this period.
** Lyons' Golden Syrup, carried in some fancy groceries. If you can't find it, use Karo light corn syrup.
A refreshingly flavorful recipe that brings a taste of summertime to your plate. Chipotle Chocolate...
Asparagus with Toasted Pine Nuts and Lemon Vinaigrette is an extraordinary Northern Italian side dis...
Grilled Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto with Shaved Pecorino is an incredible appetizer and a perfec...
Nusskipferl (Nut Crescents) are tasty cookies, very similar to Rugelach, and utterly delicious. The...