An Italian gem of a dessert, incorporating fresh fruit with anise flavored liqueur and delightful fennel. Superb and rich flavor.
Apricots with Anisette and Fennel
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
Serves: 2 quarts
- 3 pounds fresh apricots
- 2 1/2 Cups water
- 1/2 Cup anisette
- 2 Cups sugar
- 4 6-inch sprigs fresh green or bronze fennel
- cinnamon basil and cinnamon liqueur are an alternative
- Prepare jars, lids and boiling water bath.
- Wash and dry the apricots, then prick each one several times. Combine the water, anisette and sugar in a pan and cook over a med-high heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture boils and the sugar is dissolved. Add the apricots and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Fill each hot dry jar with the fruit and two fennel springs, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Pour hot liquid over the fruit until just covered. Wipe the rims with a clean towel and attach the lids securely.
- Place the jars in boiling water bath, and when the water returns to boil, process for 25 minutes.