Apple Walnut Cake with Apple Cider Glaze is a warming, wonderful and richly flavored cake perfectly suited to holiday entertaining or a family weekend treat. Exceptional.
- 1 1/2 Cups vegetable oil
- 2 Cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 Cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup whole-wheat flour, sifted
- 4 Cups shelled walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 Cups coarse chunks of peeled and cored apples
- 3 Tablespoons applejack
- Apple Cider Glaze (recipe below)
- 4 Tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons applejack or apple brandy
- 4 Tablespoons sweet cider
- 2 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat vegetable oil and sugar until thick and opaque. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together flour, cloves, cinnamon, mace, baking soda and salt, then stir in whole-wheat flour. Add to oil and egg mixture and mix until well blended. Add walnuts, apple chunks and applejack all at once and stir batter until pieces are evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into a greased 10-inch round cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour while still warm over warm cake. When cooled, the sugar will crystallize forming a lovely, crunchy and sweet icing.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups glaze.
Delicious, nutty, moist and crunchy, Maple Nut Rugelach are tender morsels filled with joy and delig...
Fresh chutney has vivid flavors, each enhanced by the others. Apple is brightened by the chile, whic...
The Oyster Bar in New York's Grand Central Terminus has made this glorious oyster stew the stuff of ...
A most refreshing salad, enhanced by a rich and flavorful cheese tuile and delectable mushrooms and ...