The addition of port wine to the filling adds a unique richness to Apple Pie with Port and Cheddar Cheese Crust. Paired with the cheddar crust, it becomes a great treat for all. Simply outstanding.
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1/4 Cup cornstarch
- 2/3 Cup apple juice
- 2/3 Cup port wine
- 2 Tablespoons butter/butter
- 1 lemon peel; grated
- 8 medium cooking apples; peeled and sliced (about 7 to 8 Cups)
- 2 Cups flour; sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 Cup shortening
- 3/4 Cup sharp Cheddar cheese; shredded
- 5 1/2 Tablespoons water
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan. Stir in apple juice, port, butter and lemon peel.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Add apples and cook gently until barely tender.
- To make Cheddar Cheese crust, mix flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese. Add water gradually and mix lightly with fork to form dough.
- Divide pastry in halves and roll out one half to fit 9-inch pie pan.
- Roll second half of pastry and cut into 10 (1/2-inch) strips.
- Spoon filling into pastry-lined pan.
- Weave pastry strips across filling to make lattice top. Bake at 375 degrees F 30 to 45 minutes, or until done.
- Serve warm.
The wonders of Green Salad with Olives, Manchego and Romesco Sauce denote flavors that exemplify the...
For a most unique appetizer experience, you have to try Pan Seared Lamb Carpaccio. The flavor is ric...
Tomato Florentine Soup is a simple, tasty, and alluring dish that pleases the palate and brings a de...
The delights of Chocolate-Dipped Hazelnut Biscotti are hard to match for their exceptional flavor. P...