The addition of port wine to the filling adds a unique richness to Apple Pie with Port and Cheddar Cheese Crust. Paired with the cheddar crust, it becomes a great treat for all. Simply outstanding.
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1/4 Cup cornstarch
- 2/3 Cup apple juice
- 2/3 Cup port wine
- 2 Tablespoons butter/butter
- 1 lemon peel; grated
- 8 medium cooking apples; peeled and sliced (about 7 to 8 Cups)
- 2 Cups flour; sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 Cup shortening
- 3/4 Cup sharp Cheddar cheese; shredded
- 5 1/2 Tablespoons water
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan. Stir in apple juice, port, butter and lemon peel.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Add apples and cook gently until barely tender.
- To make Cheddar Cheese crust, mix flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese. Add water gradually and mix lightly with fork to form dough.
- Divide pastry in halves and roll out one half to fit 9-inch pie pan.
- Roll second half of pastry and cut into 10 (1/2-inch) strips.
- Spoon filling into pastry-lined pan.
- Weave pastry strips across filling to make lattice top. Bake at 375 degrees F 30 to 45 minutes, or until done.
- Serve warm.
The light, soothing and creamy texture of delectable White Chocolate Mousse bursts upon the palate w...
These vegetarian Wontons are a delightful appetizers at parties or make great additions to soups.
The glorious flavors of Spring and Summer abound in Pea, Prosciutto, Arugula and Parmesan Tagliatell...
Chicken Piccata is a classic Italian dish served at the finest Italian restaurants worldwide. With a...