The addition of port wine to the filling adds a unique richness to Apple Pie with Port and Cheddar Cheese Crust. Paired with the cheddar crust, it becomes a great treat for all. Simply outstanding.
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1/4 Cup cornstarch
- 2/3 Cup apple juice
- 2/3 Cup port wine
- 2 Tablespoons butter/butter
- 1 lemon peel; grated
- 8 medium cooking apples; peeled and sliced (about 7 to 8 Cups)
- 2 Cups flour; sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 Cup shortening
- 3/4 Cup sharp Cheddar cheese; shredded
- 5 1/2 Tablespoons water
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan. Stir in apple juice, port, butter and lemon peel.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Add apples and cook gently until barely tender.
- To make Cheddar Cheese crust, mix flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese. Add water gradually and mix lightly with fork to form dough.
- Divide pastry in halves and roll out one half to fit 9-inch pie pan.
- Roll second half of pastry and cut into 10 (1/2-inch) strips.
- Spoon filling into pastry-lined pan.
- Weave pastry strips across filling to make lattice top. Bake at 375 degrees F 30 to 45 minutes, or until done.
- Serve warm.
The verdant green of springtime is reflected in this flavorful Pistachio Cake. Ideal for afternoon t...
Aye, tis a wondrous Gingerbread Loaf you're a'eatin with this Scottish gem of a recipe. Really authe...
Perfect for a Sunday breakfast or brunch, a hearty lunch or late night supper, this grand recipe for...
A perfectly delicious Autumnal soup that is one of our favorites. We love the rich, seasonal flavors...