The addition of port wine to the filling adds a unique richness to Apple Pie with Port and Cheddar Cheese Crust. Paired with the cheddar crust, it becomes a great treat for all. Simply outstanding.
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1/4 Cup cornstarch
- 2/3 Cup apple juice
- 2/3 Cup port wine
- 2 Tablespoons butter/butter
- 1 lemon peel; grated
- 8 medium cooking apples; peeled and sliced (about 7 to 8 Cups)
- 2 Cups flour; sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 Cup shortening
- 3/4 Cup sharp Cheddar cheese; shredded
- 5 1/2 Tablespoons water
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan. Stir in apple juice, port, butter and lemon peel.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Add apples and cook gently until barely tender.
- To make Cheddar Cheese crust, mix flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese. Add water gradually and mix lightly with fork to form dough.
- Divide pastry in halves and roll out one half to fit 9-inch pie pan.
- Roll second half of pastry and cut into 10 (1/2-inch) strips.
- Spoon filling into pastry-lined pan.
- Weave pastry strips across filling to make lattice top. Bake at 375 degrees F 30 to 45 minutes, or until done.
- Serve warm.
Grilled Ham, Cheese and Tomato is a glorious sandwich indeed, and such fun to eat and make. The flav...
Apple Cheese Omelet has a delightful, crisp flavor from the apples, wonderfully complemented by the ...
Apricot Kuchen delivers extraordinary flavor with every bite. The fresh, tangy flavor of sweet apri...
Roast Quail Veronique is a French-Canadian classic, and an extraordinary dish when made right. The c...