Apple Pie Bars
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Bar Cookies
Serves: 16 bars
- Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour; unsifted
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Cups plus 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour; unsifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup butter (1-1/2 sticks); softened
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 large egg; lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Cup Cheddar cheese; grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind; grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 Cups assorted apples; peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Prepare Crumb Topping; set aside. In small bowl, combine 2 cups flour and the salt; set aside. In large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and 1/4 cup sugar until combined. Add egg and beat until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until soft dough forms. With fingers, press dough evenly into greased pan.
- In large bowl, combine cheese, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons flour, the lemon rind, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold in apples and lemon juice. Spoon apple mixture over dough in pan. Sprinkle Crumb Topping evenly over apple mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on wire rack--at least 40 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to serve, then cut into bars.
- CRUMB TOPPING: In medium-size bowl, combine 3/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour and 1/3 cup sugar. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 5 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Per Bar: calories 286, protein 5 g, fat 15 g, carbohydrate 33 g; fiber 1 g, sodium 185 mg, cholesterol 55 mg.
Yield: 16 bars
Yield: 16 bars