Apple Fennel Pecan Salad with Clementine Dressing makes a glorious lunch or brunch dish with luscious, healthful ingredients. Substitute walnuts, cashews, almonds or pistachios for the pecans, if desired. This salad may also be served as a delectable appetizer salad.
- 1/2 Cup toasted pecans
- 1 large crisp apple, washed, such as Gala or Granny Smith, cored, peel (if desired)
- 1/2 bulb fennel (or 2-3 stalks celery)
- 1/2 Cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons Clementine Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ripe clementines
- pinch of ground coriander
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and divide fennel, reserving half of it for other purposes. Place cut side down on cutting board and slice thinly, making sure not to include the core or the green part. Reserve some fennel fern as garnish.
- Chop apple into batons (think 1/2-inch thick matchsticks).
- In a medium bowl, combine fennel, apple, pecans and pomegranates and toss to combine.
- Drizzle with clementine vinaigrette, season lightly with salt and pepper and mix well. Serve at once.
- Halve the clementines and squeeze juice into a microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for three minutes. (This reduces the juice, making the flavor more concentrated.) Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Add coriander, salt, pepper and olive oil to the bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Taste vinaigrette and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Trenette is a thin, flat pasta from Liguria is ideally suited to a variety of sauces. Wonderful with...
Nothing could be finer than to have some Yankee Carolina Pulled Pork Barbecue. Day or night, an abso...
Texas Smoked Barbecue Brisket is always prepared with a dry rub, with amazing results every time. On...
Louisiana-Style Shrimp Cakes are one of the glories of the Gulf and Cajun cookery. Rich in flavor, a...