A sweet confectionery delight, this is a perfect recipe for late Summer or early Autumn, when apples are at their best. Anytime though, an absolutely delicious treat.
Apple Cider Ice Cream Sundaes with Candied Walnuts
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup walnut pieces
Apple Cider Sauce:
- 1 Quart apple cider
- 4 scoops vanilla or Dulce de Leche or Caramel ice cream
- Apple Cider Sauce
- Candied Walnuts
For the Candied Walnuts:
- Place cider in small, heavy saucepan. Add sugar. Use your finger to stir sugar into cider.
- Heat over medium-high heat until boiling and sugar dissolves, stirring 1 to 2 times.
- Cook, without stirring, until dark amber (like an old penny), about 4 to 5 minutes.
- If syrup colors unevenly, gently swirl pan to mix.
- Remove from heat. Stir in walnuts.
- Use fork to lift nuts out of syrup and place on baking sheet lined with buttered parchment paper or foil. If syrup becomes too thick or hard to transfer nuts as indicated, gently reheat syrup over low heat until nuts can be removed easily.
- Repeat this process as needed.
- Cool completely.
- Place in airtight tin and freeze until serving time. (Can be frozen up to 1 month.)
For the Apple Cider Sauce:
- Heat cider in large skillet over high heat until boiling.
- Cook, uncovered, until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Cool completely; refrigerate overnight and up to 1 week.
- Let come to room temperature before using.
- Place scoops of ice cream in small sundae dishes.
- Spoon sauce over, dividing evenly.
- Sprinkle with candied walnuts.
- Serve immediately.