Apple Cheese Omelet has a delightful, crisp flavor from the apples, wonderfully complemented by the mild cheese and soft eggs in this exceptional omelet. Worthy of a fine Reisling.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (Red or Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Gala)
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 Tablespoons shredded Cheddar or Swiss cheese
- cinnamon sugar or granulated sugar (optional)
- In an 8-inch nonstick skillet with sloping sides, melt butter over medium heat. Add apple slices in one layer. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar and cinnamon to taste. Cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, 1 teaspoon sugar and water. Beat with a fork until eggs are just blended. Pour over apples in skillet.
- Stir with spatula to allow egg mixture to cover bottom of pan. Use spatula to gently push cooked portions to the centre, tilting the skillet to allow the uncooked egg to flow into empty spaces. When egg is almost set on surface, sprinkle cheese over half of omelet. Slip spatula under unfilled side, fold over filling and slide onto serving plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately.
Complete this meal with a green salad, whole wheat rolls and chocolate instant pudding prepared with milk.