Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Cuisine: Amish or Penn-Dutch
Serves: 4 1/2 Cups
- 4 pounds Apples, preferable Rome or MacIntosh, approximately 10 apples
- 1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or the seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- Peel and core apples, making sure to remove all the endocarp (the translucent container of the seed). Cut into 1-inch chunks.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, vanilla bean and seeds and 1/2 cup water. Cook over high heat until the mixture becomes a dark, golden caramel, about 10 minutes.
- Add apples, stir to coat. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until apples are very soft, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean. Discard cinnamon, but reserve vanilla bean for another use.
- In a blender, purée mixture until smooth. Transfer to a storage container, cover, refrigerate until ready to use. Apple butter will keep, refrigerated, up to 2 weeks.