Apple Brown Betty
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1/3 Cup butter; melted
- 2 Cups soft bread crumbs or cake crumbs
- 6 Cups apples; pared, cored and sliced
- 1/2 Cup granulated or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or mace
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon rind; grated
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup water
- Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees F.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the melted butter, and arrange 1/3 of the crumb mixture in a greased 1 1/2-quart casserole. Cover with 1/2 of the apples and 1/2 of the combined mixture, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and rind, blended well.
- Cover with 1/3 of the bread mixture, the rest of the apples and the rest of the combined mixture. Spoon on the lemon mixture, lemon juice and water combined and well blended, and top with the rest of the crumbs.
- Cover and bake in a moderately-hot oven, 375 degrees F, for 1/2 hour. Uncover and continue baking for another 1/2 hour or until the apples are done.
- To Serve: Top with cream, whipped cream with a little cinnamon sprinkled over the top, grated cheese or ice cream.
- Peach Brown Betty
- Substitute 6 Cups of fresh peaches for the apples in the above recipe.
- For 2 to 3 servings
- Halve each of the ingredients, make as directed, using a 1-Quart casserole. Bake, covered, at 350 Degrees F., for 1/2 hour. Uncover and bake for an additional 1/2 hour or until the apples or peaches are done.
Use crumbled cake, brioche, egg bread, or cornbread as a substitute for soft bread crumbs to add a unique flavor and texture to this dessert.