Apple Bacon Quiche offers a wonderful combination of flavors and makes a great meal for lunch or dinner. Simply scrumptious!
Apple Bacon Quiche
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pies
- 2 1/4 Cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 Cup shortening
- 5 Tablespoons cold milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Cup diced Canadian bacon
- 2 Cups thinly sliced apples (Red Delicious, unpeeled)
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 3/4 Cups half and half
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 Cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Combine sifted flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening until particles are size of peas. Sprinkle with about 5 tablespoons cold milk, adding just enough to make stiff dough. Shape into 6 balls.
- Roll out on lightly floured board to 6-inch circles and fit into 6 (5-inch) tart pans. Fold edges under and build up high fluted rim.
- Pierce all over with fork tines.
- Separate 1 egg. Beat egg white lightly and brush over bottoms and sides of shells. Bake below center of oven at 425F 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and saute bacon 1 minute. Add apple slices, cover and cook about 10 minutes, until apples are almost translucent. Beat remaining whole eggs with remaining egg yolk. Add flour, half and half, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, caraway seeds and dry mustard and mix well.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly among tart shells, top with apples and bacon.
- Pour egg mixture into shells. Bake at 375F about 30 minutes, or until set in center.
- Cool to lukewarm before cutting.