The delights of Apple and Parsnip Soup are boundless, and its wonderful flavors entice the palate. Perfect for entertaining. Freezes well too!
Apple and Parsnip Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled, sliced thinly
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in pieces
- 5 allspice berries
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 Cups white wine
- 3 Cups apple cider
- 2 Quarts chicken stock
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- a few sprigs fresh thyme, for garnish
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and shallots; sweat until translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add apples and parsnips; cook until tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
- Make a sachet with cinnamon sticks, thyme, allspice berries and cloves.
- Add wine, cider and sachet to pot; cook until reduced by two-thirds or more, about 30 minutes. Add chicken stock; simmer gently 30 minutes.
- Remove sachet; purée soup in batches until smooth. Pass through a fine strainer; add cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a sprig of thyme and serve immediately.