A rich and delightful dessert, pairing the glorious flavors of apple and Cheddar in a warm and fun dessert.
Apple and Cheddar Cheese Crumble
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
- 5 large apples
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 pound Cheddar cheese; grated
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 1/2 Cup rolled oats
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter; cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 10-inch square baking dish.
- Peel and core apples. Cut each into 8 pieces. In a medium bowl, toss together apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Place in baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine cheese, flour, oats, and granulated sugar. Cut unsalted butter into dry ingredients with your fingers, a pastry blender, or two knives. Combine until mixture holds together in large crumbs. Cover apples with crumb mixture. Bake until apples are tender and topping is slightly browned (35 minutes).
- NOTES : This is an old-fashioned apple dessert, best served warm from the oven. Tart pippin or Granny Smith apples best complement the sweet and pungent crumb topping. If using a sweeter apple, you may want to reduce the amount of sugar.