Moist, rich and so delicately flavored, this extraordinary apple cake is a German tradition that is well worth a try. This is, by far, one of the best cakes ever to come out of German kitchens. Scrumptious.
- 8 small apples
- 1/2 Cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons rum or rum extract
- 3/4 Cup sugar; plus 3 Tablespoons, divided
- 1 teaspoon chocolate; grated
- 3/4 Cup butter; plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons almonds; ground
- apricot jam
- powdered sugar; sifted
- Peel and core apples.
- Combine raisins, rum, 1 Tablespoon of the sugar and the grated chocolate in small saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Set aside while preparing batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease bottom of 10 1/2" springform pan.
- Cream 3/4 cups of the butter, 3/4 cups of the sugar and vanilla together.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, and lemon extract, beating until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon together.
- Gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Turn batter into prepared pan; arrange apples on top.
- Fill apple centers with raisin mixture.
- Dot with 2 teaspoons of the butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees, 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with mixture of ground almonds and remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer until apples are tender. Remove from oven.
- Brush jam over apple opening and sprinkle icing sugar over cake portion.
When your sweet tooth beckons, you'll find no better satisfaction than Brown Sugar Ice Cream with Gi...
Sassy, tangy, bold and vivacious flavor comes with each bite of Cranberry-Orange Relish. Perfect for...
Creamy Spinach and Crab Soup is a subtle, seductive and sultry soup with spectacular flavor. Worthy...
Almond Mousse au Chocolate is a sultry, seductive and alluring dessert of incredible flavor and simp...