Packed with rich apple flavor, raisins, nuts and spices in a miraculous crust, this is good living! Apfelstrudel, an old Austrian recipe is always a crowd pleaser, and full of deep, rich and sweet flavors with just a hint of nutty crunch. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an absolutely perfect dessert.
- 6 Cups apples; tart, sliced
- 3/4 Cup raisins
- 1 Tablespoon lemon rind; grated
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup almonds; ground
- 8 ounces phyllo leaves; 1/2 box, thawed
- 1 3/4 Cups butter (sweet), melted
- 1 Cup bread crumbs; finely crushed
- Mix apples with raisins, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Set aside.
- Place 1 phyllo leaf on a kitchen towel and brush with melted butter. Place a second leaf on top and brush with butter again. Repeat until 5 leaves have been used, using about 1/2 Cup of butter.
- Cover the phyllo with a slightly damp (not wet) towel when not in use and do not allow it to dry.
- Cook and stir bread crumbs with 1/4 Cup of butter until lightly browned. Sprinkle 3/4 Cup crumbs on the layered phyllo leaves.
- Mound 1/2 of the filling in a 3-inch strip along the narrow end of the phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Lift towel, using it to roll leaves over apples, jelly roll fashion.
- Brush top of the strudel with butter and sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons crumbs. Repeat the entire procedure for the second strudel.
- Bake the strudels on a jelly roll pan at 400 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
- Makes 2 strudels, 6 to 8 servings each.
Creamy Celeriac Soup with Applewood-Smoked Bacon combines extraordinary ingredients to make a super...
Individual Steak and Mushroom Wellingtons is one of the best recipes of the season, with rich flavor...
There's nothing like a slice of tasty Banana Cream Pie to bring a smile to the face and delight to t...
An incredibly rich and flavorful recipe, Lentil Casserole and Dumplings makes a great dinner, with s...