The marvelous international flavors of Any Season Salad make it at home in Tuscany, Tijuana, or Tokyo. It’s perfect for luncheon or a late-night supper. This salad pairs well with wine, beer or even Champagne.
America is an amazing place for food. Each nationality brought to these shores the foods they loved best from their homeland. This is perfectly exemplified in the delicious ingredients of Any Season Salad, which incorporates foods from Japan, Italy, Greece, Mexico and the Middle East.
- 3 celery stalks, very thinly sliced
- 1 Cup chickpeas (equivalent 14-ounce can), drained/rinsed
- 3 handfuls arugula or shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/3 Cup toasted pepitas or almonds
- 15 kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small head of broccoli florets, blanched
- 1 medium clove garlic, smashed
- 1 Tablespoon white miso
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 1 Tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- big pinch of ground cumin
- 1/3 Cup / 80 ml plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons heavy cream, or to taste
- 1 small ripe avocado, sliced
- In a large bowl combine the celery, chickpeas, arugula, pepitas, olives, onion, and broccoli. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by smashing the garlic into a paste in a mortar and pestle (or alternately, with a knife).
- In a separate bowl stir in the miso, then add the mirin, and vinegar, and combine until it all comes together. Add the garlic and stir well. Add the cumin and the yogurt, and stir again before finishing with the heavy cream.
- Taste, and adjust the dressing if needed.
- Before serving, add half of the dressing to the other ingredients and toss well.
- Keep adding more dressing until it is to your liking, adding the avocado toward the end so it maintains its structure.
In ancient Rome, they used a condiment to flavor everything from appetizers to salads. Called Garum ...
Clove, Cinnamon and Chocolate Cookies are packed with delightful flavors. Cinnamon and cloves pair w...
Our recipe for Flourless Chocolate Cake includes a spectacular chocolate ganache sauce. This gluten-...
A sublime combination of seafood grilled perfectly makes a wonderful meal. Add a petite filet mignon...