The marvelous international flavors of Any Season Salad make it at home in Tuscany, Tijuana, or Tokyo. It’s perfect for luncheon or a late-night supper. This salad pairs well with wine, beer or even Champagne.
America is an amazing place for food. Each nationality brought to these shores the foods they loved best from their homeland. This is perfectly exemplified in the delicious ingredients of Any Season Salad, which incorporates foods from Japan, Italy, Greece, Mexico and the Middle East.
- 3 celery stalks, very thinly sliced
- 1 Cup chickpeas (equivalent 14-ounce can), drained/rinsed
- 3 handfuls arugula or shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/3 Cup toasted pepitas or almonds
- 15 kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small head of broccoli florets, blanched
- 1 medium clove garlic, smashed
- 1 Tablespoon white miso
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 1 Tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- big pinch of ground cumin
- 1/3 Cup / 80 ml plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons heavy cream, or to taste
- 1 small ripe avocado, sliced
- In a large bowl combine the celery, chickpeas, arugula, pepitas, olives, onion, and broccoli. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by smashing the garlic into a paste in a mortar and pestle (or alternately, with a knife).
- In a separate bowl stir in the miso, then add the mirin, and vinegar, and combine until it all comes together. Add the garlic and stir well. Add the cumin and the yogurt, and stir again before finishing with the heavy cream.
- Taste, and adjust the dressing if needed.
- Before serving, add half of the dressing to the other ingredients and toss well.
- Keep adding more dressing until it is to your liking, adding the avocado toward the end so it maintains its structure.
Perfect Carrot Salad lives up to its name and includes crunchy, sweet, and delectable ingredients fo...
A delicious accompaniment with your meal, Herb-Cheese Biscuits are crisp, light and flavorful. Perfe...
All-American Chocolate Cake is always a favorite and this is indeed a classic of its genre. Superb f...
City School Sour Cream Coffee Cake is way too good just for the kiddies. Superb flavor makes it perf...