Another Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breads and Rolls
- 6 Cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 pound Raisins
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- caraway seeds to taste (usually 1/8 Cup)
- 1 Quart buttermilk
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a LARGE bowl. Mix in caraway and raisins. Mix in buttermilk.
- It helps to use your hands to mix this because the dough is stickey. DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC MIXER. We did this a couple of times and the bread came out very flat.
- Divide batter into two buttered cake pans. Flour a knife and cut a cross into the tops of each.
- Bake at 350 for about an hour. The top should not be allowed to get to brown.
Source: It was a Grandmother's recipe from county Mayo in Ireland.