This simply made rich pie was published in Aunt Bea’s Mayberry Cookbook – based on The Andy Griffith Show. Aunt Bea (Frances Bavier, pictured below) was a great cook and both the show and book were great successes. Set in the highlands of North Carolina, Andy played a small town sheriff; a single parent with a young son, Opie. Aunt Bea came to live with them and cooked their meals, often participating in local cooking contests. She embodied the best of the grand Southern cooks who formulated great recipes we all enjoy today.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 Cup water, cold
- 1/3 Cup sugar, granulated
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups commercial eggnog
- 1 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 9 inch pie shell, baked
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 Cups whipping cream
- 1/4 Cup confectioners' sugar
- chocolate curls, optional
- In a small bowl, soften the gelatin in the water. Set aside.
- In a 1-quart saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in the eggnog. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved.
- Divide the filling in half, setting half aside to cool. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla to half; stir well, and pour into the pie shell.
- Chill until set.
- Add rum extract to the remaining filling.
- Whip 1 cup of cream and fold into the cooled mixture.
- Spoon over the chocolate layer and chill.
- Whip the remaining cream and add the confectioners' sugar.
- Spread over the pie, or pipe from a pastry bag, and garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.
For a crunchy, tasty and unusual side dish, try our Broccoli and Blue Cheese in Prepared Puff with y...
The exceptional, bright, enticing flavors of the Southwest pervade every morsel of Turkey Tortilla S...
Basic Hamburgers provide the foundation for amazing burger combinations. You'll love the flavor poss...
Armagnac Truffles are sultry, sexy, seductive morsels of soft chocolate that melts upon the palate. ...