The refreshing, spicy flavor of Arugula (Rocket) pairs perfectly with apple, cheese and walnuts in the exceptional dressing in this recipe. A perfect combination for your table.
- 1 Cup walnut pieces (optionally, candied)
- 4 Cups arugula (tightly packed)
- 1/2 Cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese or shaved Pecorino
- 1 Granny Smith apple; cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Dressing; see below
- Apple Cider Dressing:
- 1/2 Cup walnut oil
- 1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 large shallots; chopped
- 4 cloves garlic; chopped
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Calvados or other apple Brandy
- For the Apple Cider Dressing: Combine oil, vinegar, shallots, garlic and salt and pepper to taste in jar or bowl. Add Calvados and shake in jar or whisk well in bowl. (Makes 1 1/4 cups)
- For the Salad: Toast walnuts on baking sheet at 350 degrees until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Combine walnuts, arugula, cheese and apple slices in large salad bowl. Toss with dressing and serve.
Optionally topped with grilled salmon, tuna, steak or chicken, or poached lobster, this salad may easily become a complete meal fit for a king’s palate.