The Amish are some of America’s best cooks, preparing natural foods of incredible flavor and quality from ingredients grown on the farm. Chow Chow is one of their best! A complex blending of flavors, it is a great relish that pairs well with roasts or burgers. Rooted in German cookery, its a genuine Amish delight.
This is a large recipe intended for putting up quite a volume to enjoy throughout Winter and Spring.
- 4 Cups lima beans
- 4 Cups green string beans
- 2 Cups yellow wax beans
- 4 Cups cabbage, chopped
- 4 Cups cauliflower florets
- 4 Cups carrots, sliced
- 4 Cups celery, cut in chunks
- 4 Cups red and green peppers, chopped
- 4 Cups small white onions
- 4 Cups cucumbers, cut in chunks
- 4 Cups corn kernels
- 4 Cups granulated sugar
- 3 Cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 Tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 Tablespoon celery seed
- Cook each vegetable separately until tender but not mushy. When each is finished lift out of hot water with a slotted spoon, and rinse with cold water to stop its cooking and preserve its color. Drain, then layer into a large dishpan.
- Combine the sugar, vinegar, water and spices in a 15-quart stockpot (or do half a batch at a time in an 8-quart kettle) and bring to a boil. Make sure the sugar is fully dissolved, then spoon all the vegetables (or half of them, depending upon the size of the kettle) into the syrup and boil for 5 minutes. Stir gently, only to mix the vegetables well.
- Spoon carefully into hot sterilized jars and seal.
In some families, sisters get together for chow-chow making. That relieves the tedium of chopping and cooking the numerous vegetables that go into the most subtly flavored, variously textured and brightly colored chow chow.
BBQ Short-Rib Osso Bucco is an exciting diversion from typical summertime barbecue, and brings a typ...
A wonderful combination of flavors and textures that will please the most discerning palate. Superb ...
Apple Fennel Pecan Salad with Clementine Dressing makes a glorious lunch or brunch dish with lusciou...
Based on white sauce, this exceptional White Onion Soup is rich with flavor and creamy Irish goodnes...